Special Collections & University Archives houses archives and manuscript collections, photographs, maps, books, and other rare or unique research material that document a wide range of subject areas. Our reading room is located on the 4th floor of the Tomás Rivera Library.
Until Monday, Sept. 20, 2021, appointments are three hours long and may be scheduled to start at 9:00 a.m. or 1:00 p.m.
All-day appointments (from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.) are available, however all researchers must exit the department from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. for lunch.
Please arrive on time for your appointment. Late arrivals will not be accommodated.
We offer many services to help you access and interact with our collections. You may:
- Use materials in our reading room.
- Request reproductions of materials.
- Ask a question.
- Schedule a research consultation for one-on-one or small group help from a librarian or archivist (30 minute session).
- Request an instruction session for hands-on, collection-based learning experiences.
- Request a tour for donors, other professionals, or library school students.
Find Our Collections
There are several ways to discover our collections:
- UC Library Search contains records for books, serials, and other published items. Look for the easy-to-use "Request" button.
- Online Archive of California (OAC) contains finding aids describing archives and manuscript collections. Look for the easy-to-use "Request" button.
- Calisphere features digital collections from across the state. See just UCR collections here.
Upcoming Events & Workshops